Friday, May 7, 2010

Product Packaging Comes in All Forms, Even Buildings


While walking through Manhattan's Upper East Side, something across the street caught my eye. That something, of all things, was McDonald’s. And the street was Third Avenue, which, mind you, spans at least five lanes. What used to have a dingy, fading red awning, was transformed into a fresh-looking eatery.

The uplift I’m guessing is likely in efforts to fit in with the neighborhood’s upscale additions, which include a new flagship Barnes & Noble (which spans 55,000 sqft), Pure Yoga (which dons grass on its exterior), Soul Cycle (with an exterior reminiscent of Louis Vuitton on 5th Ave), and new multi-million $$ residences, including The Brompton and The Lucida (which claims to be the UES's first 'green-certified' condo).

The wood paneling of this new McD's exudes somewhat of an au naturel (‘cooked simply’?) feel; the bands of red pop; the glass and even chairs (which were supposedly designed to be uncomfortable to increase turnover) are actually inviting (-looking); and the right panel, well, is a curious thing.

'Serenity', 'Security', 'Responsibility', 'Heritage', 'Inventive', 'Familiar', ‘Universal’, 'Mothering', 'Pure', 'Real', 'Authentic', 'True', 'Fresh'..

Are these the words you think of when you think McDonald’s? ..'Inventive', perhaps..


It’s funny because this word bank seems like it’s probably what the McD’s Execs handed to the Architects/Designers to give them an idea of what message Corp wanted conveyed. What better way than no-holds-barred direct, unlimited, and completely misleading?

I don’t eat at McDonald’s. That’s not to say it can’t fit into a healthy diet because it can—everything in moderation—but I don’t. Admittedly, though, the front actually made me want to go in. I’m a sucker for clean and, out of the hundreds of stores I’ve seen, this one may be the only one that has ever looked so, considering its fun, bright, and modern new look.

Whether they revamped their menu along with, though, is probably and unfortunately unlikely, yet ultimately what is most relevant. As I’ve taught my kids in lessons, this new storefront, alluring me toward it, is just a form of product marketing and I must resist, or at least remind myself what might be affecting my possible choices. Choices which I could potentially put in my mouth and swallow, and which could affect [gasp!] my health.

The first hurdle of restaurants is to get people through the door, eventually then, to access their wallet$. Health, to industry (Big Food), is secondary, if that. We, as consumers, need to remember this and also that companies have to work harder on product packaging when their goods are lacking-- building design included. In this case, what lacks is nutritional, or quality of food. Oops. So beware! ..just a friendly, HealthyButJuicy reminder..

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...